The Social Security Administration handles several important federal programs. Many contact me each month with questions about their retirement, Medicare, and their applications for disability benefits. Here are a few of the most common questions my office receives that deal with this agency: 
What can the Congressman do to help with my Disability claim?

I am always happy to help constituents who need assistance with a disability claim. However, there are limits to what I can do. At my request, Social Security officials will "flag" a particular case and keep me updated throughout the process. This communication can really help a person understand what is happening with their case, so they can make other decisions regarding their life and family. However, I cannot act as the "representative" on a person's disability paperwork. You may want an attorney to help you with this. My actions will not affect the work done by the person you select as your representative. I also do not have the authority to overturn any decision made by the Social Security Administration. After you file the paperwork for disability benefits with your local Social Security office, I would be pleased to follow the progress of your claim. If you would like my help, please print out this Authorization Form and fax it to 262-784-9437 or mail it to my Brookfield office at:

120 Bishops Way, Room 154
Brookfield, WI 53005-6294

Should you wish to return this privacy release directly to my Brookfield office, please contact (262) 784-1111 or (800) 242-1119 to schedule an appointment with a member of my staff.

Return to Top
How can I get information about my Social Security retirement benefits?

The determination of your Social Security retirement benefits is a complex calculation that considers not only your earnings history, but your marital status, your age and more. As such, it is best to work directly with the Social Security Administration to obtain this information.  While many Social Security offices welcome walk-in's, it is best to call ahead to schedule an appointment or review your office's hours.

Click here to find your local Social Security office

However, if you encounter delays in reaching the Social Security Administration or if you feel that your benefits have not been calculated correctly, please contact my Brookfield office.

Additionally, many questions about your benefits can be answered using mySocialSecurity, the Social Security Administration's online services portal.  Through this account you can easily review past statements, your earnings history, obtain a benefit verification letter, change your address and more.

Return to Top