Skip to content
I often hear from constituents with questions about how I can help them find public housing, assist with a mortgage, or connect them with a housing specialist.  Government housing assistance and resources are available through both the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, also known as HUD, and the Federal Housing Administration, also known as FHA.  Here are some of the most common housing questions I receive:
What kind of assistance is available to help me with my mortgage?

The current government programs for foreclosure prevention offers financial incentives to private lenders to in turn provide mortgage modification to home owners having trouble making payments. The home owner does not apply directly to the government for the assistance, but rather works through his or her lender. Through this program, the government aims to encourage banks to accept mortgage modifications; however, ultimately, the decision whether to do so is made by the lender. To learn more about this program and whether you qualify, please visit:

Return to Top
Is there someone I can talk to about my housing situation?
YES.  If you have questions about how to find help, a housing counselor may be of assistance.  To speak with a HUD-approved housing counselor, please call 1-888-995-HOPE.  You can also find a list of HUD-approved housing counselors in your area online here.   Return to Top