Skip to content

While most education policy within the United States is set by state or local governments, the US Department of Education sets nationwide education standards, oversees federal financial aid programs, studies the effectiveness of local education policies and enforces federal privacy and civil rights within the education system. 

The Department of Education also oversees federal student loan programs. While most student loan payment and billing issues should be addressed with your loan servicer, I am happy to contact the Department of Education if you continue to experience difficulties. To request my assistance with a federal student loan issue, please complete my privacy authorization form and contact my District Office at (262) 784-1111 or (800) 242-1119.

Where can I apply for financial aid?

In order for any student to receive federal financial aid, a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed.

Click here to begin filling out the FAFSA form

Return to Top
What happens if I default on my federal student loan?

It is extremely important not to default on any loan, and defaulting on a federal student loan will impact your credit history. Eventually, your wages may be garnished as a result of defaulting on a student loan.

However, if you feel you may have to default, or if you are already in default, you should contact your lending company for counseling.

Get more information on loan defaults

Return to Top
What is loan consolidation and am I eligible for one?

Consolidation loans allow you to combine different types of federal student loans to simplify repayment. Even if you have just one loan, you can also choose to consolidate it. Both the Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL) and Direct Loan Programs offer consolidation loans.

Find more details and to apply online for loan consolidation

Return to Top