Sensenbrenner Releases Fifth District Survey Results for 2015
Today, Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner released the 2015 results of the annual Fifth District survey.
Congressman Sensenbrenner: “Each year, I send out a survey to residents of the Fifth District to get direct feedback on the issues that are important to my constituents. As an elected official, my priorities in Congress are determined by the needs of those I represent, and it’s my great honor and duty to take their opinions into account when I vote in the House of Representatives. I appreciate the time and effort Fifth District residents took to complete this year’s survey, as well as their thoughts on critical national issues.”
• 75.1% believe the country is headed in the wrong direction
• Only 20% rate the economy as “good,” while 76% rate it fair or poor
• 47% say Congress should reduce and simplify federal regulations to encourage job opportunities
The questions, answer options, and results in full are below:
1) Do you believe the country is headed in the right direction?
A. Yes- 15.29%
B. No- 75.10%
C. Other- 9.61%
2) Rate the condition of the economy.
A. Excellent- 1.75%
B. Good- 20.19%
C. Fair- 45.44%
D. Poor- 31.26%
E. Other- 1.36%
3) What is the greatest economic challenge facing your family? (Choose one)
A. Healthcare costs- 43.22%
B. Education costs- 4.52%
C. Rising prices of consumer goods- 27.11%
D. Debt- 8.25%
E. Lack of employment/underemployment- 7.66%
F. Other- 9.23%
4) The U.S. spends $7 billion a year on federal prisons. Do you favor reducing prison time for people convicted of non-violent crimes and using some of the savings to create a stronger probation system that includes programs for preventing and treating substance abuse?
A. Yes- 51.26%
B. No- 32.88%
C. Undecided- 15.86%
5) Do you support amnesty for illegal immigrants, or should preference be given to those who are attempting to immigrate legally?
A. Support amnesty- 10.14%
B. Support giving preference to legal immigrants- 82.31%
C. Undecided- 7.55%
6) Do you believe the Obama Administration has been transparent and held itself accountable?
A. Yes- 14.42%
B. No- 78.95%
C. Undecided- 6.63%
7) What is your biggest concern/ complaint with the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare?
A. Rising costs/ higher premiums- 54.09%
B. Losing health coverage- 6.03%
C. Losing physicians- 9.73%
D. Its effect on small businesses- 11.87%
E. I have no concerns/ complaints- 18.29%
8) Do you support federal subsidies for Obamacare?
A. Yes- 22.40%
B. No- 64.24%
C. Undecided- 13.36%
9) What do you consider the biggest threat to our national security?
A. ISIS and other terrorist organizations- 53.83%
B. Iran’s nuclear ambitions- 19.06%
C. Increased Chinese aggression- 12.18%
D. Vladimir Putin and Russia’s growing nationalism- 5.70%
E. Other- 9.23%
10) Should the government have the authority to collect all Americans’ phone records in bulk?
A. Yes- 14.31%
B. No- 76.08%
C. Undecided- 9.61%
11) What is the best way for Congress to encourage job opportunities?
A. Lower tax burden for business owners- 25.05%
B. Reduce and simplify federal regulations- 47.73%
C. Raise spending on job training and workforce promotion programs- 16.37%
D. Other- 10.85%
12) Do you believe the U.S. should tax its carbon emissions to address climate change concerns, even if developing countries, like China and India, are not under the same restrictions?
A. Yes- 27.34%
B. No- 63.87%
C. Undecided- 8.79%